Your ability to earn income is your most valuable asset. Disability insurance is designed to protect you from a possible loss of income. What’s the possibility of this happening? Below are some statistics on disabilities occurring at different life stages.
It may surprise you that:
- Just over 1 in 4 of today’s 20 year-olds will become disabled before they retire.*
- 62% of Canadian workers have been exposed to someone who has had to take time off work due to a disability
- 43% of Canadian workers have had an immediate family member or have themselves had to take time off work due to a disability
- 1 in 7 Canadians are disabled at any given time
Chance of becoming disabled for 3 months or longer before age 65:
Why should you consider personal disability insurance?
- Worker’s Compensation only covers work related accidents.
- Unemployment insurance only covers 15 weeks.
- Canada Pension Plan: Are you comfortable relying on the government for a benefit that can change?
- Group and association coverage can fill a valuable role in long-term disability protection.
However, the benefit may be limited by the definition of disability and coverage amount.
Remember, a custom designed individual disability plan will provide you with guaranteed coverage and guaranteed premiums.